Glossary of Terms

  1. A - D
  2. E - F
  3. H - Z
  • Annular Space - The gap between the penetrating item and the edge of the hole. In a given penetration, the measurement from the outside diameter (O.D.) of the pipe to the inside diameter (I.D.) of the hole.
  • ASTM - American Society for Testing and Materials
  • ASTM E 84 - Standard Method for Surface Burning Characteristics of Building Materials
  • ASTM E 119 - Tests the performance of walls, columns, floors, and other building components under fire exposure conditions
  • ASTM E 814 - The method applicable to "through penetration" firestops of various materials and construction. Firestops are tested, and intended for use, in openings in fire-resistive walls and floors
  • ASTM E 2336 - Standard Test Methods for Fire Resistive Grease Duct Enclosure Systems
  • Backing Material (Foam Backer Rod or Mineral Wool) - Combustible or noncombustible material used to provide support for gunned or troweled fire stop sealant within walls or floors.
  • Ceiling Radiation Damper - A listed device installed in a ceiling membrane of a fire-resistance-rated floor/ceiling or roof/ceiling assembly to limit automatically the radiative heat transfer through an air inlet/outlet opening
  • CMU - Concrete Masonry Unit. Usually hollow, pre-cast concrete blocks used to construct walls
  • Combustible Construction - That type of construction that does not meet the requirement for noncombustible construction (usually wood). Combustible means that a material fails to meet the acceptable criteria of ASTM E 136 (Standard Method of Test for Determination of Non-Combustibility in Building Materials).
  • Combustible Penetrants - Pipes, cables, or other penetrants that may burn or melt out during a fire.
  • Concentric - Having a common center like a penetrating item centered in the middle of a through-penetration hole.
  • CPVC Pipe - High-grade plastic (Chlorinated Polyvinyl Chloride) pipe commonly used for hot/cold water distribution, fire sprinkler piping, and some chemicals.
  • Curtain Wall Joint - Perimeter gap between the concrete floor slabs and the exterior wall construction (usually of metal or glass) in high rise buildings.
  • Draftstop - A material, device or construction installed to restrict the movement of air within open spaces of concealed areas of building components such as crawl spaces, floor/ceiling assemblies, roof/ceiling assemblies and attics.