Homeless & Community Outreach
Permanent Supportive Housing
The mission of the Permanent Supportive Housing program is to provide permanent supportive housing for the chronically homeless with a coexisting mental health or substance abuse problem.
Persons eligible for this program are those that fall into the following categories:
- Able to function in independent rental housing with a low level of assistance
- Chronically homeless as defined by Housing and Urban Development (HUD) (homeless for the last 12 months and/or 4 episodes of homelessness in the last 3 years)
- Currently sleeping in an emergency shelter or a location not meant for human habitation
- Single persons
- Case management services
- Harm reduction model in which participation in services would not be cause for removal from program
- Program eligibility does not expire
- Rental and utility assistance
- Wrap around services, such as access to physical and mental health services, employment services, basic needs, drug and alcohol recovery services, and functional living skills training
How the Program Works
- Participants must engage in a lease with a participating landlord, paying no more than 30% of their gross monthly income for rent.
- Program makes payment to landlord to complete rental payment.
- Participants are identified via the centralized intake and assessment process at Lafayette Transitional Housing Center (LTHC). To apply, contact LTHC by phone at 765-423-4880 or in person at the Howarth Center, 615 N. 18th St., Lafayette, IN 47904.
Shelter Plus Care Team
Shelter Plus Care is a collaboration between local homeless service providers, including:
- City of Lafayette
- LTHC Homeless Services
- Lafayette Urban Ministry
- Mental Health America
- Riggs Community Health Clinic
- Wabash Center
- Wabash Valley Alliance - PATH Team
Housing is provided in rental units throughout the community, with access to local bus routes and necessary services. The program capacity is currently 28 individuals. The program began in June 2008 and is funded by the Indiana Housing and Community Development Authority through the City of Lafayette.
Solutions Beyond Shelter
The Solutions Beyond Shelter Plan (PDF) is a community initiative to end chronic homelessness in 10 years. For more information, visit the Homeless Prevention and Intervention Network (HPIN) website.