Subfacility of Columbian Park
|Check out our online calendar here...
Local patriotic and military organizations, led by the Veterans of Foreign War Post 1154, inspired the building of a memorial in Columbian Park to honor the brave men and women from Tippecanoe County who gave their lives defending our country. Their efforts led to the dedication of Memorial Island in 1949. Today, Memorial Island serves as a permanent reminder of the price paid for our precious freedom.
The amphitheater on Memorial Island can be rented for the day. The facility is available for rent seven days a week (excluding major holidays). Rental hours are from 10:00am - 10:00pm. Fees are $500 for the whole day, plus a $250 refundable security deposit. Please contact the Parks Main Office at 765-807-1500 for more information.
After gathering input from local veteran’s groups, stakeholders, and the public, the Lafayette Parks and Recreation department was proud to unveil the Memorial Island Master Plan in 2015 (Memorial Island Master Plan Design). Phase I, which included improvements to the existing island and the addition of new memorials, was completed in 2015. Phase II, which included new promenades, memorial plaza, some lagoon shoreline enhancements, and landscaping was completed in 2018. In 2021, work concluded on Phase III, which includes:
- New stage with new sound system, shade structures, fixed seating and lawn seating
- Addition of landmass to existing Memorial Island
- ADA accessibility throughout project area
- New pedestrian bridges
- Boardwalk near water featuring adult swings and ADA fishing nodes
- Lagoon shoreline improvements
- Return of pedal boats to lagoon
- Addition of geyser-style fountains
- Improved water quality in lagoon
- Addition of new landscaping throughout project areas
- Fish restocking in lagoon
Additional picnic seating and benches will be added in 2022.