Police Volunteers (VIPS)
The Volunteer's in Police Service (VIPS) program was established to promote effective use of the many citizens of Lafayette who wish to donate their time and talents to further the goals of the department. This program was developed by the U.S. Department of Justice in association with the International Association of Chiefs of Police and was designed to address increasing demands on state and local law enforcement agencies. Our volunteers help by taking on responsibilities and administrative tasks inside the police department, but also become liaisons within the community to help foster relationships and forge lasting bonds with the citizens of our great city.
Want to be a VIP?
- Must be at least 21 years of age
- Pass a Criminal Background Check
- Attend the Lafayette Police Department Citizens Academy
- Willing to volunteer 24 hours of service a year
- Be in good standing with the City of Lafayette and the Lafayette Police Department
Contact Community Outreach Coordinator Lieutenant Justin Hartman, he oversees and supervises the VIPS program.